Social Entrepreneurship for Poverty Alleviation (SEPA) is a collaborative program between Austin College and the Texoma Council of Governments that is designed to increase Austin College student engagement and collaboration with local non-profit organizations and provide grant writing training and internships.
SEPA focuses on engaging students in community development through grant writing as an entrepreneurial endeavor, teaching technical aspects of grant writing and providing hands-on grant writing experience with a local nonprofit agency.
Student interns are paired with a local non-profit organization for the months of June and July to assist the non-profit with becoming more competitive in seeking grant funding. Currently, there is no cost to the non-profit organization.
Student interns and non-profit organization representatives will attend a grant writing workshop in June 1-2, 2017. During June and July, interns and non-profit representatives will work together to seek new funding for the organization. All participants are required to attend a mid-summer meeting and end of summer meeting at Austin College.
In 2015, the SEPA program was recognized by the City of Denison, Texas, as the Partnership of the Year.
SEPA was supported by a generous grant from the Texoma Health Foundation in 2016 and 2017.
Please use the links below to apply for the 2017 program.
Austin College serves as a Funding Information Network Partner of The Foundation Center and provides a wide range of services to help those involved in preparing grants and soliciting funds from foundations. For more information about finding grants for non-profit organizations, please see Resources to help find grants.
2015 Training Documents
- Organization/Funder Worksheet (doc)
- Talking Points (doc)
- Sample Base Proposal (pdf)
- Statement of Need Worksheet (doc)
- Evaluation Worksheet (doc)
- Sample Budget - 1 to 5 year (xls)
- Sample Budget (xls)
- Executive Summary Worksheet (doc)
- Sample Budget - Knowledge Exchange (pdf)
- Austin College Foundation Center (pdf)
- Budget Glossary (pdf)
- Grant Seeking Glossary (pdf)
- Online Budget Resources (pdf)
- Proposal Writing Resource List (pdf)
- Prospect Worksheet (pdf)
- Tips for Searching Foundation Center (pdf)
2015 Training Handouts
- Group Collaborative Exercise (doc)
- Assessment Evaluation Table (doc)
- Assessment Evaluation Exercise (ppt)
- Collaboration (ppt)
- Prezi Presentation
- SEPA Workshop Feedback Form