The WalkAbout Job Shadowing Program is a 1- to 5-day job shadowing program provides students the opportunity to visit companies and organizations to explore careers, network with professionals, and learn about career options related to their major(s). The program will help clarify career goals, confirm career decisions, and help you to understand how what you learn in the classroom leads to success in the workplace.
Job Shadow Activities
- Facility tours
- Informational interviews
- Shadow and observe the host and other staff members in their daily work activities
- Observance of client interactions
- Staff meetings
- Small projects
Who can participate in WalkAbout?
All students who are currently enrolled at Austin College are eligible to participate.
Key Points to Remember
- The job shadow experience is an un-paid and non-credit experience.
- Students are responsible for transportation, lodging, and meals (if not provided). There will be no reimbursement for travel expenses.
- Students will be required to complete an online WalkAbout orientation and commitment form BEFORE their job shadow.
- Once students accept a job shadow, they are committed. Students are required to complete the entire job shadow.
What to Do Next
- Student attempts to identify alumni and/or contact Career Services for assistance.
- Complete online orientation, which includes instructions on contacting site, setting up experience, goals, responsibilities, time frame, etc.
- Meet with Career Services to finalize agreement between student and alumni