In the late 1800's, what began as a lightning spark was transformed into usable electricity. During the early years, direct current was the accepted standard. Unchallenged.
Until Nicola Tesla had an idea worth spreading. He harnessed changing currents and powered an entire city with light, flooding homes and lives with illumination never-before experienced.
In 1918, Austin College became a co-ed college, opening their doors to women and joining the world in changing currents.
With catalyst as significant as theses, we invite you to be open to new currents of possibility, achievement and action. Every day life is powered by our behaviors and attitudes. Today will be a day for ideas to connect - for sparks to fly.
Speakers & Categories
- Shelby Bagby ‘20 - One Language is Not Enough ¿Por qué no los dos?
- Anissa Centers ‘93 - Looking Good While Falling Apart: There are some things in life even a great pair of stilettos won't fix
- Devin Gonier ‘09 - The Morality of Artificial Intelligence and the Power of the Unknowable
- Randi Tanglen, Ph.D. - How to be a Bad-ass Woman: Changing the Current in Daunting Political Times
- Aly Tharp ‘12 - Climate Chaos or Social Change? Choose one
- Rev. John Williams, Ph.D. ‘84 -Out of the Audience and into the Story: Including Marginalized Persons
Please email TEDx@austincollege.edu or call 903.813.2419 with questions.
- David Baker - The Most Extreme Life Form in our Solar System
- Lisa M. Brown - Who Gets the Benefit of the Doubt? And Who Shouldn’t?
- George Diggs - Real Food Diets for Lions, Zebras, People, and Beyond
- Mark Hébert - Happiness vs. Meaning: Must I Choose?
- Rob Kelso - Paving the Way to Planetary Settlement
- Sierra Salser - First Glances and First Words
- David Savage -International Refugees in Texas: How They Get Here and What Happens Next
- Peter Schulze - We Aren’t Going to Mars
- Ivette Vargas-O’Bryan - Paradigm Shift Toward Universal Compassion
- Aaron White - What Part of You Will Live Forever?
- Asil Yassine - Literacy: The Great American Theft
Thank you to our generous partners!