Students who study abroad for a semester are charged a flat rate by Austin College and therefore make their payments directly to the college. By doing so, students are generally eligible to use the financial aid they receive in any given semester to assist with the cost of study abroad.
Additional costs not covered by a student’s tuition include but are not limited to:
- Visa fees or resident permit costs
- Meals (coverage varies by program and accommodation type)
- Personal travel
- Daily living expenses
- Optional excursions
Whether students utilize financial aid or opt to pay out of pocket to fund study abroad, Austin College expects students wanting to participate in semester study abroad to apply for scholarships from external organizations.
Austin College offers resources to students in the search for and application to study abroad scholarships:
- The Study Abroad Office can guide students to major scholarships depending on the student’s qualifications
- The Scarbrough Center for Writing (Abell Library Center) provides review services for scholarship application essays
- The Financial Aid Office (Wortham Center) advises individual students on the cost of their study abroad program based on their financial aid package and additional financing options
Additionally, faculty advisors for certain major scholarships are available to students for consultation on their applications: