Austin College has partnered with Recyclops to continue offering recycling services to the campus community. Want to know how you can do your part? Read the FAQ below or contact Rebecca Jones for more information.
What is recyclable in green bags, grey hallway containers and "Think GREEN" labeled outdoor containers?
- Metals: empty aluminum, steel and tin cans/containers
- Plastic categories 1, 2 & 5: most bottles/containers
- Clean paper items: newspapers/inserts, magazines, junk mail, office paper (with or without ink)
- Cardboard: shipping and other regular boxes
- Boxboard: including dry food boxes such as cereal boxes (please remove liners), shoe boxes, etc.
Note: All cardboard should be flattened, and larger pieces may be left outside but adjacent to the recycling bin
Which items should not be recycled?
- Plastic bags or plastic wrap
- Wet or greasy paper
- Pizza boxes or any other materials that have food waste on them
- Coffee cups and other wax- or plastic-coated materials
- Napkins, paper towels, tissues
- Porcelain or ceramics
- Yard waste
- Oil, paint, or pesticide bottles or containers
- Other hazardous materials
Recycling at Austin College operates within the Recyclops guidelines for recyclable items.
How do I recycle if I live in an apartment-style residence (Roo Suites, Flats, etc.)?
- A blue or gray recycling cart will be placed near your residence (locations are listed below)
- All accepted items placed in the carts must be in green plastic bags
- Green bags are available from the ENVS Coordinator, Rebecca Jones
- Small cardboard items may be recycled in green bags, but large cardboard must be flattened and stacked neatly near carts
Where is my recycle bin located?
- Cottages: Two blue recycle carts occupy the concrete pad in the center of the complex and a third is near the trash carts on the west side of the complex.
- North Flats: A gray recycle cart is adjacent to the trash dumpster inside the concrete enclosure in the parking lot.
- South Flats (Flats on Brockett): A blue recycle cart is under the stairwell closest to the trash dumpster at the west end of the building.
- Bryan Apartments: A gray recycle cart is under the stairwell closest to the trash dumpster.
- Roo Suites: Please place flattened cardboard neatly in the designated fenced area near the trash dumpster where you deposit your trash. Small cardboard and other recyclables must be put in green plastic bags and placed in the adjacent fenced area. Please do not toss bags over the fence walls in a manner that may tear the bags. Walk around and place them gently inside the fencing.
Where can I recycle batteries, ink cartridges and small electronics?
Drop off containers are labeled to receive the following:
Residence hallsWright Campus Center near mail center
IDEA Center first floor
- Cell phones
Abell Library circulation desk
- Ink or printer cartridges
Wright Campus Center near mail center
IDEA Center first floor
Questions? Need green bags?
Contact the Coordinator for the Center for Environmental Studies, Rebecca Jones
Idea Center 118 | 903.813.2034