iLAD introduces language across the curriculum at Austin College and infuses area studies and world cultures into disciplines across the college. The initiative expands offerings in Spanish language and Latin American and Iberian Studies, especially related to experiential learning and training in programs in the health fields, business and finance, and international relations.
Infusing Languages and Global Competency Across the Disciplines (iLAD)
Current Data, Risk Mitigation Strategies, and Myths Debunked
Medical Conference on COVID in Mexico
iLAD's High-Impact Program
The iLAD program includes:
- New international internships and research opportunities in Hispanic countries for students in Health Professions and Business fields.
- Additional domestic internships requiring proficiency in Spanish with focus on Public Health and Business.
- Establishment of Spanish discussion courses in collaboration with already existing courses in Public Health, International Business, and International Relations.
- Expansion of study abroad opportunities in Spanish-speaking countries.
Faculty development in teaching language across the curriculum courses.
- New intermediate Spanish courses offerings: 1) Spanish for the Health Professions and 2) Spanish for Business/Finance.
- Outreach to North Texas high school students around professional opportunities in the fields of business and healthcare for Spanish language speakers.
- Revised courses in Latin American and Iberian Studies with emphasis on
iLAD Leadership Team:
Dr. Terry Hoops (co-director) - Associate Professor of Anthropology and director of Austin College’s Latin American and Iberian Studies program
Dr. Elena Olivé (co-director) - Associate Professor of Spanish and director of Austin College’s Spanish Language House
Dr. Julie Hempel - Associate Professor of Spanish and director of Austin College’s Center for Southwestern and Mexican Studies
Dr. Patrick Duffey - Professor of Spanish and Margarett Root Brown Chair of Foreign Languages and Literatures
New intermediate Spanish courses offerings:
1) Spanish for the Health Professions (left) and
2) Spanish for Business/Finance (above).
Funded by the U.S. Department of Education UISFL grant.