In making the application, it is not necessary for the student to arrange in advance the site of their internship. Once the internships are awarded, the Center will work individually with each student to make a placement that reflects their interests and abilities. Students must, however, indicate at the time of application the Texas city or locality where they wish their internship to take place.
Students should not contact a particular organization at which they wish to intern until they are accepted as a CSMS intern. At that time, the CSMS director will work with the student to make an appropriate placement.
The Center has funding for eleven internships: one at the Sherman Museum, one at the Sam Rayburn Museum in Bonham, and nine at-large. If you are interested in an at-large internship, please contact Julie Hempel to discuss possibilities. These positions may have funding available for living and travel expenses depending on the location. The stipend for all CSMS summer internships is $2500 (minus any federal taxes a student owes on this income).
STUDENT ELIGIBILITY. Preference will be given to students who have completed their sophomore or junior years. Students who have completed their senior year are ineligible. Freshmen may be eligible in exceptional cases.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS. Tuesday, March 3, 2020.
APPLICATIONS. Fill out the online application form.
CONTACT. For more information, please contact Dr. Julie Hempel.
Each intern must be available to work full-time on his/her internship project for seven weeks, between June 1 to July 31, 2020. Students must be able to devote their full time and attention to the internship as their only major time commitment. Interns may not enroll in collegiate course work or have other full time employment during the course of the internship. We will begin notifying selected interns beginning the week of March 16, 2020. All interns must sign a contract agreeing to the above conditions, turn in a written report with photos at the beginning of August, and give a short presentation on their experience in the Fall.
CSMS Intern Presentations:
- Rachel Oney - Sherman Museum
- Anna “Kat” Forbus - Sam Rayburn Museum
- Anthony Cooper - Abell Library
- Krista Rodriguez - Latino Cultural Center-Dallas
- Karina Durán - Raíces Austin
- Stephanie Vera - Institute of Hispanic Culture of Houston
- Jaran Rudd - UAQ-Querétaro
- Andrea Montiel - UAQ-Querétaro
- Abiel Cárdenas-Botello, Mahaa Siddiqui (Outreach Paraguay)
- Lois Bronaugh - Sam Rayburn House & Library
- Karla Herrera - Latino Cultural Center
- Holly Kapp - The Sherman Museum
- Ololade Olaleye - South Dallas Cultural Center
- Amy Sierra - Summer Internship in Querétaro
- Conce Uribe-Frias - Mexico Internship
- Taylor Spurgin - The Sherman Museum
- Maria Jaramillo - My Adventure Through Queretaro
- Guadalupe Perales - La Universidad Autonoma de Queretaro
- John Haynes IV - Sam Rayburn House Museum
- Desiree Coleman - Sherman Museum
- Finley Fitzgerald - Sam Rayburn House Museum
- Ismael Reyna - Latino Cultural Center
- April Rodriguez - Universidad Autonoma de Querétaro
- Rachel Storm - Digitizing Video for the Archives at Abell Library