ACTIVE SHOOTER RESPONSE AND SURVIVAL OPTIONS
- Campus Police 903.813.2555
- Sherman Police/Fire/EMT Emergency 911
At Austin College, we strive to keep our campus as safe as possible. However, unpredictable situations may arise that are beyond our control. In the event of an active shooter situation, you must be prepared both mentally and physically to respond safely.
Active Shooter – an individual who, for any reason, is actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people confined to a particular area, using one or more firearms.
Preparation for a Potential Event
- Always be alert to your surroundings, potential threats, and dangers.
- Know TWO exit routes and have an escape plan from any room and building.
- Identify safe and hidden places.
- Have emergency numbers stored in your cell phone.
- Evacuate the area of activity if escape is possible.
- Convince others to escape, but don’t allow them to hold you back.
- Leave your property behind.
- Always keep your hands in open view.
- Warn others who may be entering the area of danger.
- Call 911 after reaching safety.
Shelter in place
- If escaping is not possible, hide in a room behind as many barriers as possible.
- Lock or barricade the door.
- Turn off lights.
- Silence your phone.
- Remain hidden until otherwise told by an OFFICER or CAMPUS OFFICIAL.
Take Evasive Action
- If unable to escape, be prepared to survive a direct confrontation with the shooter.
- As a last resort, fight back with aggression when your life is in imminent danger.
- Use any available items as weapons that will incapacitate the shooter.
- Cooperate with others who are in your same situation.
WHEN LAW ENFORCEMENT ARRIVES
Know that officers are there to respond to the shooter. Medical Technicians will be nearby to care for victims once the area is safe.
- Remain calm, and follow the officer’s instructions.
- Avoid distracting the officers. Do not deter them with your actions, such as pointing.
- Avoid screaming and yelling.
- Do not carry items with you.
- Raise your hands and keep your fingers visibly spread out.