When the Austin College ‘Roo football program is in action in Apple Stadium, fun and memorable tailgating moments are happening in Larry Kramer Outback, located just beyond the south end of the field. Bring your grills, tents, and drinks, and show your Kangaroo spirit! View the 2019 Football schedule.
- AC vs Howard Payne – Saturday, September 7
- AC vs Centre – Saturday, September 21
- AC vs Millsaps – Saturday, October 12
- AC vs Rhodes – Saturday, November 9
At Homecoming 2014, the area was named in memory of legendary coach Larry Kramer, head football coach at Austin College from 1973 to 1982 who guided the ‘Roos to the 1981 NAIA National Championship. His win record is still the second highest in Austin College history. The 2003 recipient of the College’s Coach Joe Spencer Award for Meritorious Service and Lifetime Achievement in Coaching, Kramer said of his 1981 players, “Those kids made a heck of a coach out of me.”
Gifts from alumni and friends enabled the College to add trees and other amenities in the tailgating area.
Austin College has instituted safety policies for The Outback tailgating area, and two police officers will remain on site. (PDF version of Outback Policies)
- Tailgating is permitted inside the boundaries of LKO, adjacent to Apple Stadium. No tailgating activity will be allowed in any of the parking areas adjacent to and surrounding the stadium.
- Tailgating activity in LKO is reserved for faculty, staff, alumni, parents, friends, and guests. It is not intended to be a primary location for undergraduate students and/or their organizations during tailgating.
- Per state law, no underage (21) consumption of alcoholic beverages is permitted.
- The Outback is reserved for alumni, parents, friends, and guests.
- No mass quantities of beer or wine are allowed (kegs, beer balls, etc.).
- Tents, grills, and tailgating material limited in scope and size are allowed within the boundaries of LKO, adjacent to the south end of the stadium only. Large trailer mounted grills, smokers, and/or open source fryers are not allowed. Hot coals or other related materials are to be disposed of in the firebox of the smoker provided by the College.
- No pets are allowed in The Outback at any time.
- Children under the age of 12 are the responsibility of their parent or guardian and should be supervised at all times.
- Tents, grills, and tailgating materials are allowed within the fences of Larry Kramer Outback at the south end of the stadium.
- LKO will be open two hours prior to the start of an athletic contest (kickoff) and will close no more than 60 minutes after the conclusion of the contest. The access gate for loading and unloading will close 30 minutes prior to the start of a contest.
- Participation in LKO tailgate is a privilege, not a right. Therefore, the College reserves the right to deny access to any participant and/or to remove equipment that is deemed to be non-compliant and/or inappropriate.