Review Sessions & Workshops: The ASC Peer Tutors host review sessions and workshops for content areas of frequent tutor support. The Review Sessions generally concentrate on upcoming test preparation while workshops may cover a broad range of topics. Dates are posted below:
- September 19 (WCC 231 @ 7 p.m.)
- October 14 (IC 127 @ 7 p.m.)
- November 11 (IC 127 @ 7 p.m.)
- September 19 (IC 301 @ 7 p.m.)
- October 22 (IC 127 @ 7 p.m.)
- November 19 (IC 127 @ 7 p.m.)
- September 15 (WCC 254A @ 7 p.m.)
- September 19 (IC 125 @ 7 p.m.)
- October 14 (IC 125 @ 7 p.m.)
- November 6 (IC 125 @ 7 p.m.)
- September 22 (WCC 255 @ 7 p.m.)
- October 13 (WCC 255 @ 7 p.m.)
- October 23 - Excel in Finance (Abell Computer Lab 116)
- November 3 (WCC 255 @ 7 p.m.)
- December 4 (WCC 255 @ 7 p.m.)
A copy of the review practice tests can be found below.
Student Success Series: These skill-building workshops cover a variety of topics to help students successfully transition to Austin College. No reservation is required, but space is limited. Presentations will be uploaded for students to reference after each presentation. All programs will be held in WCC 255, unless otherwise noted.
- September 9 @ 4:30pm- Goal Setting
- September 12 @ 11am- Reading for Class
- September 16 @ 4:30pm- Note-Taking
- September 18 @ 4:30pm- Test Prep
- September 19 @ 11am- Note-Taking WCC 245
- September 20 @ 4:30pm- Overcoming Procrastination
- September 23 @ 4:30pm- Managing Stress
- September 26 @ 11am- Test Prep WCC 245
- September 30 @ 4:30pm- Time Management
- October 3 @ 11am- Study Smarter, Not Harder
- October 10 @ 11am- Writing Workshop
- October 16 @ 4:30pm- How to Calculate Your Grade
Fall Finals Countdown Study-A-Thon: Fall Finals Countdown is a massive study session planned the week before finals, allowing students to get a jump start on Finals Week while giving freshmen the opportunity to make a study plan for their first round of college finals. Fall Finals Countdown will be hosted in Mabee Hall and adjacent rooms in the WCC, offering individual and group study opportunities, support from peer tutors and some professors, and resources to aid students in making a game plan for finals!
U-Turn Program: U-Turn is a workshop series that uses the Learning and Study Strategies Inventory (LASSI) to assess student study needs. Once assessed students are they attend specific workshops to help enhance and develop specific learning and study strategies. Students are then re-assess in the early Spring to see if their skills have improved. Students who struggled during the Fall semester or students who want to turn their GPA around are recommended to sign up.
Trivia Night: The ASC and Career Services partner for a social night of Trivia in the Pub!
CI Tours: Each CI class is invited to participate in a tour of the Academic Skills Center during their CI semester. The tour introduces Freshman to the services and resources available through the Academic Skills Center. Students also engage in a breaking down an argument exercise which addresses how students should be approaching points of view discussion classes and papers.
Project Floor: (October 8 & 9) The ASC presents during Residential Life's October Project Floor.
Academic Skills Center (ASC) programs are designed to help all students develop academic and social skills to maximize academic potential.