From: President Steven O’Day
Subject: UPDATES Monitoring the Coronavirus
Thursday, March 12, 2020
Dear Students, Faculty, Staff, and Families:
Nothing is more important to me than the well-being of our students, our employees, and our community. Our response team has been monitoring the situation continuously over the last 45 days to manage the current realities. We continue to be committed to providing every opportunity for the completion of the semester, despite the disruption due to the rapidly emerging coronavirus pandemic.
To date, there are no known cases of COVID-19 on our campus.
As we take a thoughtful and measured approach, I am providing several updates on response protocols that protect the health and safety of the Austin College community. We have reviewed and considered virtually all possible scenarios to allow continuous operation of the college.
- Spring Break 2020 will be extended two days to allow for adequate preparation throughout the campus.
- Classes will resume on Wednesday, March 18, on regular schedules.
- Residence halls will open for students to return from spring break on Tuesday at 1:00 p.m. Any student who needs help should contact Student Life with any questions.
- We are deeply committed to maintaining the excellent teaching and learning standards of Austin College. Our commitment is to provide every opportunity for completion of the semester. We are planning to offer options for remote classroom participation, should it become necessary.
- Students who have questions regarding their personal health issues and/or feeling ill in some way should contact Health Services directly by emailing email@example.com or call 903.813.2247.
- To ensure the well-being of our community, all faculty, staff, and students currently on international travel returning from COVID-19 Level 1, 2, or 3 areas are advised to self-isolate for 14 days before returning to campus. See the CDC website for more information.
- Given the evolving nature and rapid developments of the coronavirus, all aspects of campus life continue to be monitored. For example, campus academic conferences, community programs, and local events will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- With regard to athletics, we continue to monitor the situation closely and will keep you updated on any developments as they become available.
- Going forward, college-related travel is suspended for the remainder of the semester. Each situation will be reviewed and confirmed.
Over the weeks ahead, campus offices will remain open, and staff will be working in continuous operation to support our faculty and students. Spring break travel has been monitored closely. Our ongoing data collection, along with local, regional, and federal health advisories, provides a valuable source of information to support these protective protocols. With the evolving nature of our current reality, these protocols are subject to change. Please check our dedicated webpage monitoring the coronavirus for the latest updates.
I appreciate the commitment of each and every one of you as we navigate these uncertain times. Together, we are all working to achieve a successful and healthy academic experience for our students.
We will get through this.
Steven P. O’Day, J.D.
Austin College President