From: President Steven O’Day
Subject: Monitoring the Coronavirus
Friday, March 13, 2020
UPDATE: SPRING BREAK EXTENDED A FULL WEEK through Sunday, March 22
Dear Austin College Community,
The evolving situation of the coronavirus pandemic has pushed our world to unprecedented times. Today, Governor Greg Abbott declared a state disaster for all counties in Texas, and this afternoon President Trump declared a national emergency. Local school districts have announced closures or extended breaks. Given these new developments, Austin College continues to respond thoughtfully to the emerging realities.
Though the members of the Austin College community have no known cases of COVID-19 at this time, we are now extending Spring Break 2020 A FULL WEEK through Sunday, March 22, to allow for adequate preparation throughout the campus to help students complete the semester.
We currently project classes will resume Monday, March 23, on regular schedules both in person and remotely. In response to current realities, students electing not to return to campus by Monday, March 23, must complete the Elective Remote Access form.
- The campus and residence halls are open on Wednesday, March 18, to accommodate students who desire to return early. All campus and dining services will be open and available, with hygienically cleaned facilities utilizing CDC approved materials for those desiring to remain on campus. Any student who has questions should contact Student Life
- If students are feeling ill or have questions regarding their personal health issues, they should contact Health Services at Roowellness@austincollege.edu.
- As always, students are responsible to contact each professor directly if missing any class for any reason.
- We are deeply committed to maintaining the excellent teaching and learning standards of Austin College. Our commitment is to provide every opportunity for completion of the semester. We will offer options for remote classroom participation.
- We are actively managing the well-being of our community. Faculty, staff, and students are submitting information for review and monitoring. Those returning from COVID-19 high risk areas must self-isolate for 14 days and report appropriate actions before returning to campus. See the CDC website for more information.
- Given the evolving nature and rapid developments of the coronavirus pandemic, all aspects of campus life continue to be monitored. For example, campus academic conferences, community programs, and local events will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- With regard to athletics, and pursuant to the decisions of the SCAC, all athletics are suspended indefinitely.
- Travel for college business is suspended until further notice. Each situation will be reviewed and confirmed.
- Austin College will remain open with regular business hours (8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.).
- Please direct inquiries about COVID-19 and the College’s preparedness to email@example.com.
As we continue to assess this dynamic and fluid situation, we will provide updates as quickly as possible. Please check frequently for updates. Our commitment is to the wellbeing of our community and to providing every opportunity for our students to complete the spring semester.
We will get through this.
Steven P. O’Day, J.D.
Austin College President