Sponsors play an important role in guiding all student organizations at Austin College, including Greek Sponsors for fraternities and sororities. While the college requires fraternities and sororities to have a sponsor, the extent of the relationship is left up to the individual organizations and said sponsor.
Sponsors serve as the liaison between the organization and the administration, the faculty and the staff. Each sponsor will render advice, suggestions, and help the organization remain consistent with the college’s standards , and share their expertise and leadership experience with their organizations. They often assist organizations with setting and achieving goals, monitoring academic progress and meeting with student members. A chartered organization is responsible for keeping their sponsor aware of all of the organization’s activities. The faculty and staff sponsors are also encouraged to attend all major campus wide events of the organization and should attempt to attend meetings as time allows. The sponsor will communicate with the department of Student Life in instances of risk, after rending advice, suggestions, and help to the organization regarding their potential choices.
Lack of Sponsor Policy
When a Greek organization is without a sponsor:
During the first two months:
- The organization must meet with the Director of Student Activities to develop a plan to select a new sponsor.
- The organization may continue to participate in functions and activities as an organization in good standing is allowed.
After two months:
- Social functions with alcohol will not be approved,
- Bulletin board space will be revoked,
- Participation in the new member education process will be terminated
- Current new members will not be initiated.
After one full semester:
- The organization’s charter may be suspended or revoked.