As summer break is over and Austin College students return to campus, the Lake Campus will be closed beginning Friday, August 21 until further notice. We hope to offer opportunities ahead for select opening weekends, so please check back for updates.
The Robbie Kubela Rogers Lake Campus of Austin College is located on the Preston Peninsula at Lake Texoma. It is available to members of the College community (faculty, staff, students and alumni) for recreational activities, retreats, meetings, and camping. The 30-acre site is named in honor of the trustee who donated funds for numerous improvements to the recreational area, dedicated in her honor in 1983.
A part-time manager maintains the Lake Campus facility. In the event of any unlawful act, accident or injury being observed, the Lake Campus Manager should be notified immediately. Any problems or unsafe conditions with the Lake Campus facilities (restrooms, trash cans, picnic areas or beach) should be brought to his attention for correction.
You may also go to the Austin College Physical Plant website and submit a work request for items in need of repair, or other issues in regards to the condition of the site. Submit a Service Request.
The Lake Campus is open daily 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. for all Austin College Community members, except during Opening of School Weekend, Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday break times. There are restroom and shower facilities on-site, as well as a covered pavilion.
- Read more about Lake Texoma
From Austin College, take Grand Ave. north and cross Texoma Parkway onto Taylor St. Continue on Taylor St. to US Hwy 75 (or further on to FM 1417). Take US 75 (or FM 1417) north to FM 120. Take FM 120 west to Pottsboro. At Pottsboro, FM 120 curves to the north and becomes Hwy 289 as it continues on out Preston Peninsula. The Lake Campus is about 10 miles from the curve in Pottsboro. At the point where the state-maintained highway ends, the road narrows, has some sharp curves, and the speed limit slows to 35 mph. Upon driving past the two Baptist camps, which will be on the west side of the road (your left), the Lake Campus entrance is next. It is directly across from the Little Mineral Marina sign. The Lake Campus address is 29185 Preston Bend Road, Pottsboro, TX 75076. Contact the Lake Campus Manager at 903.718.4355.
- The Lake Campus facility is a recreational site leased from the Corps of Engineers, intended primarily for use by persons affiliated with Austin College (faculty, staff, students and alumni).
- Restroom and shower facilities are available from the first Monday after Spring Break in March, until the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. They are closed other times because of the cold weather.
- The entrance to the Lake Campus is accessible daily from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. The Lake Campus will be closed: Opening of School weekend, Thanksgiving Holiday Break, Christmas/New Years Holiday Break, Spring Break, and ACE (Austin College Experience). On other holidays, such as Memorial Day, Independence Day, and possibly Labor Day (depending on the opening of school), the Lake Campus will be open for Austin College Community use.
- Persons or organizations wishing to use the Lake Campus for special events, such as club meetings, retreats, reunions, etc., must adhere to the following procedure. NO RESERVATIONS ARE ALLOWED ON HOLIDAY WEEKENDS.
- Have their representative come by the Wright Campus Center Office 148 during business hours to complete a Special Use Request Form describing the event (2 weeks prior to the event).
- Meet with the Events Services Coordinator in the Wright Campus Center Office 148 to discuss the details and expectations.
- All events are to be non-alcohol.
- Large events could require a uniformed police officer presence.
- Minimum of 2 persons controlling the gate at all times after normal gate closing times.
- Have the event approved by the Dean of Student Life or the Assistant Director of Student Life.
- There is a per person usage fee for using the Lake Campus, with a non-refundable 50% deposit due upon scheduling. The remaining balance is due 1 week prior to event.
- Have their representative come by the Wright Campus Center Office 148 during business hours to complete a Special Use Request Form describing the event.
- Large events may require a uniformed police officer.
- Meet with the Events Services Coordinator in the Wright Campus Center 148 to discuss the details, expectations and to be issued a facility access code for the gate.
Fee Schedule for non-campus organizations:
- 25 or Less $100
- 26-50 $200
- 51-100 $500
- 100+ $1000
The Lake Campus is subject to all Federal, State and local laws, and to the rules of Austin College. While all pertinent laws cannot be published within this web page, those listed below outline the requirements set forth by Austin College and the Corps of Engineers. All persons using the facility are required to uphold all regulations. Police Officers, County Sheriffs Department and Park Rangers make inspections of the area. Violators will be held responsible for their actions, are subject to being made to leave the Lake Campus because of their actions, and could have their Lake Campus access privilege removed.
- The use of this facility will be at one’s own risk and responsibility. Austin College will not be responsible for any personal losses or injuries.
- Swimming will be done at one’s own risk. There are no lifeguards.
- Nude swimming and nude sunbathing are prohibited. Women are not permitted to go topless.
- Firearms and fireworks are not allowed. Professionally supervised fireworks demonstrations on special occasions may take place with the approval of the College and the Corps of Engineers.
- Alcohol consumption by anyone under the legal drinking age is prohibited. Kegs, party balls, or other alcoholic beverages served on tap are not allowed at any time.
- Glass containers are not allowed.
- Family pets are not allowed.
- All persons shall keep their area free of trash and litter. They shall remove all personal property and clean their area prior to departing the facility.
- Motorized vehicles are not allowed on the beach area. Vehicles that are observed parked or driving on the beach area will receive a $50.00 citation. Vehicles must stay on the established roadways, except to park at the designated picnic and camp sites. Only licensed drivers are permitted to operate vehicles while on the property. All ATV’s (All Terrain Vehicles) are prohibited from the property.
- Any lumber, scrap wood or pallets with nails or staples are not allowed for firewood use.
- Open fires are limited to the provided fire pits around the site, or cooking grills (NO FIRES ON BEACH)
- The pavilion tables, chairs, etc., are not to be removed from the pavilion area.
- Dial 911
Other Important Emergency Phone Numbers:
- Lake Campus Manager
- Campus Police – 903.813.2555
- Grayson County Sheriff – 903.893.4388
- Preston Fire and Ambulance – 903.786.9595