Austin College will welcome more than 300 guests to campus as families of students visit for Family Weekend on September 24-25. The weekend’s activities are designed to allow parents and family members to become better acquainted with the campus community while visiting and catching up with their students. For more information about Family Weekend, call 903.813.2383.
Events for the weekend include:
- Theatre production: Now Then Again directed by senior Matthew Varvir
- Student panels on internship and study abroad opportunities
- Kids College with activities for guests in kindergarten through eighth grade, led by members of the Omega Zeta social sorority
- Service opportunity for parents and students at the Sherman Community Garden
- Family and Faculty Coffee
- Soccer and football competitions
- Reception for parents at the home of President Marjorie Hass
- Family Weekend Worship Service with a sermon from the Reverend Kary Rawlings, a 1977 Austin College graduate and associate pastor of First Presbyterian Church of San Angelo, Texas. She is the mother of Austin College sophomore Sam Rawlings, senior Philip Rawlings, and 2009 graduate Rebecca Rawlings. Music by the Austin College A Cappella Choir.
Austin College is a leading national independent liberal arts college located north of Dallas in Sherman, Texas. Founded in 1849, making it the oldest institution of higher education in Texas operating under original charter and name, the college is related by covenant to the Presbyterian Church (USA). Recognized nationally for academic excellence in the areas of international education, pre-professional training, and leadership studies, Austin College is one of 40 schools profiled in Loren Pope’s influential book Colleges that Change Lives.