Visiting Assistant Professor of English
English / Academic
- Sherman Hall 109
B.A., University of North Texas.
M.F.A., Sarah Lawrence College.
Ph.D., University of North Texas.
I’m new to Austin College, but I’m thrilled to interact with students and share my love for writing, literature, and understanding our place in it. What I love about writing and literature is that it gives voice to things we don’t understand how to articulate yet.
What attracts me to Austin College is the attention given to students. Every student has a unique perspective and I believe in guiding students to understanding how to navigate their perspective within larger communities. This fosters a broader, global perspective. Through inquiry and discussion, I look for ways to mentor, teach, and advise students on ways to pay attention to what makes up the language of our world.
Austin College is a place where I can find and share language with a diverse community of scholars and students.
- Expository Writing
- Interpreting Literature
- Intro to Creative Writing
- Poets Writing Texas
- BIPOC American Literatures
- Latinx Diasporic Literatures
- Mexican American experience
- 20th Century American Poetry
In the News:
- “Sebastián Hasani Páramo: Impulsando las Voces Literarias en el Metroplex,” Dallas Doing Good
- “New Deep Vellum poetry editor found community among Dallas writers. Now, he’s helping lead it,” Dallas Morning News
- “The Fire Next Time,” D Magazine
- “In there Uncertain Times,” Awst Press
- “Still Life with Salt on Fruit,” Waxwing Magazine
- “Self-Portrait with Thunder & Exhaustion,” Blackbird
- “Blood & Breath,” New England Review
- “Portrait of Us Burning,” Salamander
- “Paths from the First Car,” TriQuarterly
- “Elegy for My Mother’s Country,” Kenyon Review Online
- “The Laundromat Saint,” The Missouri Review
I take being a literary citizen very seriously and wear many hats in the writing community. I am the co-founder of the Pegasus Reading Series in Dallas and founder of The Burning Plain Reading Series in Denton. I also am the Editor-in-Chief and founder of The Boiler, a literary journal, and am Poetry Editor for Deep Vellum. My serious interests are watching sitcoms, films, long walks, and trying new things. This past summer, I spent several months on a ranch writing a new book and tried making tepache for the first time. From this experience, I decided to propose the “Poets Writing Texas” this Jan Term.