The Temple Learning Center at Thompson House is “home” for the Austin Teacher Program. The David E. and Cassie L. Temple Foundation of Tulsa, Oklahoma, gave a grant to fund the renovation of the historic home. The structure provides technology and resources for the preparation of elementary and secondary teachers.
The house was built in 1895 by Captain John M. Thompson, a lumberman from East Texas. It was donated by Hoxie Thompson, John’s son, to Austin College in 1943. Located at the corner of Grand and Brockett Streets, the Victorian home includes period reception and seminar rooms, modern offices, and state-of-the-art classrooms.