The Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics/Computer Science, and Physics Departments
invite applications for Summer Research Stipends
- Austin College biology, chemistry, mathematics, computer science, or physics students
- No previous research experience required.
Deadline for applications -- Friday, March 6, 2020 by 5:00 p.m.
Final notification by end of March.
Students receive a competitive stipend plus 1/2 the cost of AC student housing if they choose to live on campus.
Note: Students choosing to live off-campus will not receive a housing allowance. Stipend amounts for individual students in different labs may vary depending on the sources of funding available.
Expectations of stipend recipients
- Enthusiasm for original research
- 8 to 10 weeks in residence (typically the months of June and July)
- At least 40 hours per week
- A willingness to adapt your schedule to the needs of the research project
- No concurrent jobs or summer courses
- Biology & chemistry students are required to make a presentation to the Biology or Chemistry Department during the subsequent Fall semester
Attend presentations by Austin College faculty on potential research projects.
- Biology Department: Seminar Thursday, February 13, 4:30 p.m., IDEA Center 127
- Chemistry Department: Wednesday, February 26, 4:30 p.m., IDEA Center 127
- Mathematics, Computer Science, & Physics Departments: contact individual faculty below
- Review faculty areas of research interest (see list below) regarding potential topics. Please note, faculty in the Department of Biology and Drs. Hebda, Richardson, and Zack request potential applicants meet with them prior to applying. These meetings should be scheduled as soon as possible.
- Interested students are encouraged to attend the Austin College Scholarship Conference (ACSC), March 21-22, 2020 to discuss with current students work ongoing in prospective labs.
- Complete and submit the Online Application.
Successful candidates will be selected based on 1) Quality of application statement (and any other written material requested by your proposed sponsor); 2) Courses taken; 3) Austin College record; and 4) Available research positions with faculty members.
Potential Sponsors for Summer 2020
This program is funded by sources including the Brittain Biology Student Research Endowment, The Andy and Narcadean Buckner Biology Scholars Program, the Howard McCarley Biology Research Endowment, the Welch Foundation, the Discovery Foundation, and the National Science Foundation.
For further information, contact Dr. Jessica Healy (biology), x2338, IC 222.