The Austin College Oscar and Anna Laura Page Meditation Garden is a peaceful space designed for introspection, prayer, and relaxation. Within this space is a stone labyrinth, finger labyrinth, gardens, benches, and a columbarium. Located in the shadow of Wynne Chapel, the garden is an extension of the worship space in the center of the Austin College campus. Dedicated to the glory of God on October 24, 2021, all are welcome to enjoy this sacred place. View the video of the dedication.
Dating back to the 17th century, a labyrinth is a spiritual tool designed for contemplation and spiritual transformation. Walked by people of all faiths and traditions, the circle forms a singular path leading to a center.
Guidelines for Walking a Labyrinth.
The finger labyrinth is designed for those with visual or mobility impairments. Reflective of the full-sized labyrinth, which is walked, this labyrinth is used with the finger. The user traces the path to the center using their finger rather than their feet.
Directions for Finger Labyrinth Meditation
- Take deep breaths to begin to relax and focus on the entrance to the labyrinth.
- Place your pointer finger from your non-dominate hand on the entrance of the labyrinth. If you find this too awkward at first, use your dominant hand. However, over time, keep trying your non-dominate hand. This helps keep the mind focused on the meditation due to the challenge it presents.
- Slowly trace the pattern of the labyrinth with your finger allowing your mind to clear from extra thought and focus solely on following the path of the labyrinth. “Walk” to the center of the labyrinth and rest momentarily, taking deep breaths observing how you are feeling.
- Retrace your path out of the labyrinth.
- Breathe deeply and relax. Observe how you are feeling again.
Interment within the Columbarium will provide a final consecrated resting place for Austin College community members. Niches may be purchased in advance or as needed by contacting the Estate Planning Office at 903-813-2059. Those who qualify for interment are:
- Austin College Students and Alumni
- Austin College Faculty (current or retired)
- Austin College Staff (current or former)
- Presbyterian Church (USA) ordained clergy
- Immediate family of those listed above
Columbarium Policies (PDF)
Fee Schedule (2021) (PDF)
Application to purchase a single niche (PDF)