The Departmental Honors Program is designed to challenge superior students in their final year of undergraduate study to use their disciplinary training to delve deeper into a topic of interest in the major. The program emphasizes independent investigation and culminates in completion of a bachelor’s thesis or special research project. Credit for one or two courses (which may include a January Term course) is normally given. If justified by the nature of the project, credit for three courses, including a January Term, may be given. The thesis must be defended by the student in an oral examination administered by the student’s thesis committee. The thesis committee consists of three faculty members; two of the members should be from within the department or program of the student’s major and the third from outside the student’s major. In some cases, specific departments have additional requirements for participation in the program. Successful completion of the Departmental Honors Program is indicated on the student’s diploma as "Honors in (Discipline or Field)."
Admittance to the program is by invitation only and is intended for students who are within three semesters of graduation. In no case will students who have less than five months of study remaining before graduation be considered. A student who has excellent research potential and has been performing at an exceptional level in the major and at a level of distinction in other courses may be invited by the department or program chair to participate in the Departmental Honors Program. The evaluation of performance in the major is made exclusively by each department or program. The evaluation of overall performance outside the department is subject to review by the Honors Advisory Committee.
Honors Program Mandatory Meetings 2019-2020
- Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 4:30-6 p.m. in AD 201: Honors Program Welcome Reception & Information Meeting for All Students Accepted Into the Program
- Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 4:30-6 p.m. in Abell Library: Honors Research Strategy Success Meeting
Honors Program Contacts
Honors Program Director
Honors Program Deadlines 2019-2020
- Friday, September 20, 2019: Deadline for submitting Committee Acceptance Form
- Friday, October 11, 2019: First Round Funding: Honors Funding Request form is due
- Friday, October 18, 2019: First Round Funding: Faculty Advisor form is due
- Friday, November 8, 2019: Second Round Funding: Honors Funding Request form is due
- Friday, November 15, 2019: Second Round Funding: Faculty Advisor form is due
New Spring 2020 Honors Deadlines (in response to COVID-19):
- Monday, April 20, 2020: Deadline for submitting entire thesis to all committee members.
- Friday, May 1, 2020: Deadline for thesis defense.
- Oral Defense Form (signed and returned to Wendy Wilson)
- Friday, May 8, 2020 by 12 noon: Submit thesis for format check to Wendy Wilson, Secretary, AD 312. Format must be approved before submitting to library.
- Thursday, May 14, 2020: Submit final (library) copy to Wendy Wilson, AD 312.
- Monday, May 4, 2020: Honors Reception, Collins Alumni Center, 6-8 p.m.
- Tentatively Cancelled: Honors Reception, Collins Alumni Center