The Departmental Honors Program is designed to challenge superior students in their final year of undergraduate study to use their disciplinary training to delve deeper into a topic of interest in the major. The program emphasizes independent investigation and culminates in completion of a bachelor’s thesis or special research project. Credit for one or two courses (which may include a January Term course) is normally given. If justified by the nature of the project, credit for three courses, including a January Term, may be given. The thesis must be defended by the student in an oral examination administered by the student’s thesis committee. The thesis committee consists of three faculty members; two of the members should be from within the department or program of the student’s major and the third from outside the student’s major. In some cases, specific departments have additional requirements for participation in the program. Successful completion of the Departmental Honors Program is indicated on the student’s diploma as "Honors in (Discipline or Field)."
Admittance to the program is by invitation only and is intended for students who are within three semesters of graduation. In no case will students who have less than five months of study remaining before graduation be considered. A student who has excellent research potential and has been performing at an exceptional level in the major and at a level of distinction in other courses may be invited by the department or program chair to participate in the Departmental Honors Program. The evaluation of performance in the major is made exclusively by each department or program. The evaluation of overall performance outside the department is subject to review by the Honors Advisory Committee.
Honors Program Mandatory Meetings 2022-2023
- Wednesday, May 11, 2022, 4:30 – 6 p.m.: General Information Meeting (mandatory, Admin 201)
- Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 4:30 - 6 p.m.: Research Strategy Success Meeting (mandatory, Admin 201)
Honors Program Contacts
Honors Program Director
Honors Program Forms
- Honors Research Funding -
- Committee Acceptance Form
- Nomination Form (Friday, March 11, 2022)
- No Longer Pursuing a Thesis Form
- Oral Defense Form
- Preliminary Interest Form (Friday, May 6, 2022)
- Draft Honors Thesis Submission Form
- Final Honors Thesis Submission Form
Honors Program Deadlines 2022-2023
- Friday, September 16, 2022: Due
- Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 4:30 – 6 p.m.: Honors Research Strategy Meeting (Admin 201)
- Friday, October 14, 2022: Honors Research: Student form is due
- Friday, October 21, 2022: Honors Research: Faculty Advisor form is due
- Monday, April 3, 2023: Submit Draft of Thesis to All Committee Members.
- Friday, April 14, 2023: Oral Defense Form
- Friday, April 21, 2023: Draft Honors Thesis Submission Form. Submit your finished thesis as a Word Document and PDF via this form. The format must be approved by the thesis director before submitting this form.
- Friday, April 28, 2023: Submit Final Thesis (3 copies) to Wendy Wilson, AD 312.
- Friday, April 28, 2023: Final Honors Thesis Submission Form Submit finished thesis as a PDF via this form
- Monday, May 1, 2023: Honors Reception