The Departmental Honors Program is designed to challenge superior students in their final year of undergraduate study to use their disciplinary training to delve deeper into a topic of interest in the major. The program emphasizes independent investigation and culminates in completion of a bachelor’s thesis or special research project. Credit for one or two courses (which may include a January Term course) is normally given. If justified by the nature of the project, credit for three courses, including a January Term, may be given. The thesis must be defended by the student in an oral examination administered by the student’s thesis committee. The thesis committee consists of three faculty members; two of the members should be from within the department or program of the student’s major and the third from outside the student’s major. In some cases, specific departments have additional requirements for participation in the program. Successful completion of the Departmental Honors Program is indicated on the student’s diploma as "Honors in (Discipline or Field)."
Admittance to the program is by invitation only and is intended for students who are within three semesters of graduation. In no case will students who have less than five months of study remaining before graduation be considered. A student who has excellent research potential and has been performing at an exceptional level in the major and at a level of distinction in other courses may be invited by the department or program chair to participate in the Departmental Honors Program. The evaluation of performance in the major is made exclusively by each department or program. The evaluation of overall performance outside the department is subject to review by the Honors Advisory Committee.
Honors Program Mandatory Meetings 2023-2024
- Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 4:30 – 6 p.m.: General Information Meeting (mandatory, WCC 231)
- Tuesday, September 19, 2023, 4:30 - 6 p.m.: Research Strategy Success Meeting (mandatory, WCC 231)
Honors Program Contacts
Honors Program Director
Honors Program Forms
- Honors Research Funding -
- Committee Acceptance Form
- Nomination Form (Friday, March 10, 2023)
- No Longer Pursuing a Thesis Form
- Oral Defense Form
- Preliminary Interest Form (Friday, May 12, 2023)
- Draft Honors Thesis Submission Form
- Final Honors Thesis Submission Form
Honors Program Deadlines 2023-2024
- Friday, September 15, 2023: Due
- Tuesday, September 19, 2023, 4:30 – 6 p.m.: Honors Research Strategy Meeting (mandatory, WCC 231)
- Friday, October 13, 2023: Honors Research: Student form is due
- Friday, October 20, 2023: Honors Research: Faculty Advisor form is due
- Monday, April 1, 2024: Submit Draft of Thesis to All Committee Members.
- Friday, April 12, 2024: Oral Defense Form
- Friday, April 19, 2024: Draft Honors Thesis Submission Form. Submit your finished thesis as a Word Document and PDF via this form. The format must be approved by the thesis director before submitting this form.
- Friday, April 26, 2024: Submit Final Thesis (3 copies) to Wendy Wilson, AD 312.
- Monday, April 29, 2024: Final Honors Thesis Submission Form Submit finished thesis as a PDF.
- Tuesday, April 30, 2024: Honors Reception from 11:00-12:30 in WCC, Johnson Gallery