Comparative Public Health Internship
OutReach Paraguay is a health outreach organization that provides services in the South American country of Paraguay. During the summer of 2018 two Austin College students spent two weeks serving and learning in Paraguay with an OutReach Paraguay group including the two co-founders, Eileen Sosa (a former Peace Corps volunteer to Paraguay) and her husband, Milner Sosa, who was born in Paraguay.
Prior going to Paraguay, the two Austin College students spent four weeks interning at various health outreach organizations in the Sherman, Texas area (e.g., the Grayson County Children’s Advocacy Center) working through the United Way. By having this combination of experiences in the U.S. and Paraguay, the students gained a broad perspective on health care and public health.
Internship Opportunity for Summer 2019
If you are interested, please fill out the ON-LINE APPLICATION. Deadline: November 1, 2018
Outreach Paraguay (OP) - Sherman, Texas Internship Requirements
- OP cannot guarantee special dietary requirements.
- OP cannot guarantee special provisions for participants with certain medical conditions/needs (ex., refrigeration of medications, nebulizer use).
- Physical Requirements: able to walk up to 1 mile daily and carry all luggage
- OP recommends that all participants schedule an appointment with their primary care provider (PCP) to assess individual fitness for international travel and to provide travel counseling (AC may want to require a note from PCP giving OK to travel with/without accommodations).
- Participants are responsible for obtaining any vaccines required for travel to Paraguay, Argentina, and Brazil.
- Participants must be willing to share rooms when necessary (some accommodations are double or triple occupancy).
- Participants must be flexible and able to adjust to changes in schedules and activities as dictated by local circumstances such as weather, roads, etc.