The Academic Skills Center (ASC) programs are designed to help all students develop skills that could maximize their academic potential.
Our free services for students include:
- content specific tutoring
- writing assistance
- organizational tutoring to assist with time management, organization, and stress management
- group review sessions
- workshops for skill development and learning strategies like note-taking, test taking,
- tips for writing personal statements for graduate/professional school applications
- access to textbooks, solutions manuals, graduate school / professional school test prep, and more resources
- services for students with documented disabilities
- transitional services for transfer and international students
- Study Tips Videos
The ASC is certified as a professional tutoring center through the International Tutoring Certification Program, which is endorsed by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA). All ASC tutors are required to participate in more than 20 hours of training to receive individual certification. See more information on about our tutors and tutoring services.
Why Use Our Services?
- 98% of Freshmen in 2015-2016 visited the ASC. 65% of those Freshmen visited 1 or more times after their initial visit.
- 90% of students receiving writing support, through tutorials, reported learning to apply strategies to improve their overall writing.
- 89% of students receiving tutoring services reported that tutoring had a positive effect on grade, increased overall confidence in course, and improved their attitude toward the course.
- 97% of the students registered with disability services have "hidden disabilities."
- 91% of students registered with disability services use extended test time.
- 88% of students registered with disability services demonstrated reduction in accommodation usage by graduation.
Our Location - WCC 211
We are located in the Wright Campus Center on the second floor, Room 211. (Above the HopperStore)
How to Contact Us
The ASC director coordinates services for students with disabilities. To utilize disability services, students must make specific accommodation requests at the beginning of each semester and submit appropriate documentation in support of each request.
Follow us on Facebook
Hours of Operation
- Monday through Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday: 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
To Make an Peer Tutor Appointment
- Call 903.813.2454
- Ask to make a Tutor Appointment
- Be ready to provide subject and professor
Walk-ins are welcome, but tutors are not guaranteed. For best availability schedule appointments 3 days to 1 week in advance.