What is the ASC?
The Academic Skills Center (ASC) programs are designed to help all students develop skills that could maximize their academic potential. The center provides individual assistance in writing, study skills, and time management. Content-specific tutoring is available in many areas, including biology, chemistry, math, and foreign language.
The ASC is certified as a professional tutoring center through the International Tutoring Certification Program, which is endorsed by the College Reading and Learning Association.All ASC tutors are required to participate in more than 20 hours of training to receive individual certification. See more information on the certification requirements.
The ASC sponsors workshops that offer assistance on such topics as test taking strategies, writing skills, and lab report formatting. Group review sessions help students prepare for finals and are sponsored as needed.
Our services include:
- free course specific tutoring & writing assistance
- assistance with time management, organization, learning strategies, and stress management
- tips for writing personal statements for graduate/professional school applications
- services for students with documented disabilities
- Study Tips Videos
Why Use Our Services?
- 98% of Freshmen in 2015-2016 visited the ASC. 65% of those Freshmen visited 1 or more times after their initial visit
- 90% of students receiving writing support, through tutorials, reported learning to apply strategies to improve their overall writing.
- 89% of students receiving tutoring services reported that tutoring had a positive effect on grade, increased overall confidence in course, and improved their attitude toward the course.
- 97% of the students registered with disability services have "hidden disabilities"
- 91% of students registered with disability services use extended test time.
- 88% of students registered with disability services demonstrated reduction in accommodation usage by graduation.
We are located in the Wright Campus Center on the second floor, Room 211. (Above the HopperStore)
How to Contact Us
The ASC director coordinates services for students with disabilities. To utilize disability services, students must make specific accommodation requests at the beginning of each semester and submit appropriate documentation in support of each request.
- Laura Marquez Ramsey, Director
- Katy Williams, Assistant Director
- Leo Golyadkin, Coordinator of Support Services for International and Transfer Students
To make an appointment with staff or tutors, come by WCC 211 or call at at 903.813.2454.
Follow us on Facebook
Hours of Operation
- Monday through Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday: 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
To Make an Peer Tutor Appointment
- Call 903-813-2454
- Ask to make a Tutor Appointment
- Be ready to provide subject and professor
Walk-ins are welcome, but tutors are not guaranteed. For best availability schedule appointments 3 days to 1 week in advance.