Amanda Kisselle, Executive Director of Admission and Director of International Recruiting
Austin College has a student body of approximately 1,300 students, including residents of Texas and 32 other U.S. states, plus 36 international students, representing Brazil, Canada, China, Ethiopia, Mexico, Nigeria, South Korea, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, and Vietnam. The student community includes individuals of diverse ethnic and religious heritages and myriad interests and talents.
Our strong academic programs, small classes, access to professors and diverse student body make Austin College a great fit for many international students. Please browse our website and see if Austin College might be the place for you to call home for the next four years.
Where is Austin College?
Austin College is located in Sherman, Texas, a community of approximately 38,000 residents that becomes home to our students. A quick trip south to Dallas offers additional entertainment and internship opportunities. DFW International Airport is only 100 kilometers away and offers service to over 200 different locations.
International Student Support
An International Student Advisor (ISA) is available to support students enrolling from outside the United States socially and academically as they adjust to life in the U.S. and at Austin College and to familiarize them with campus and community resources. In addition, through the College’s Student Ambassador Program, international students are connected with American students – and are able to assist one another in cultural understanding. The group enjoys cultural exchanges and socializing as well as some off-campus outings. The ISA also is available to discuss students’ academic experiences and make them aware of services that might be helpful. Through the Admission Office, current international students are paired with prospective students from abroad to provide perspective and guidance as international students make college decisions.
In addition, like all students, international students have a faculty mentor throughout their Austin College experience. All freshman complete a freshman seminar course during the first fall term. Students explore a particular assigned topic while further developing abilities in writing, oral communication, research skills, and other facets of intellectual inquiry. The course instructor becomes the students’ mentor, who helps students in degree planning and toward pursuing internships, study abroad, research, or other areas that will enrich their educational experience.
Access to Top Academic Programs for International Students
Learning doesn’t come only from textbooks and Austin College students add a depth of meaning to their studies by applying theories and facts learned in the classroom to “real life” situations like these examples:
- Model United Nations Teams that have a long history of success in competition;
- The Student-Managed Williams Investment Fund, in which students are managing a $1 million (plus) portfolio of investments using real dollars, not theory and imagination;
- Mock Trial and Mediation Teams that gain skills in communication and public speaking while learning about processes of law;
- Undergraduate Research Projects alongside faculty that may result in journal publication or presentation at professional associations;
- Career Study Off Campus (CSOC), in which students, often during January Term, spend significant time working alongside professionals to better understand the demands and diversity of various careers;
- Study Abroad Opportunities that allow students to better understand the world and learn about themselves in the process;
- Posey Leadership Institute, in which students gain understanding of leadership styles and theories and then put those theories into action through various on- and off-campus activities.
Austin College has earned an excellent reputation for preparing students interested in careers in medicine and health sciences, law, engineering, and ministry. Pre-professional advisors, in conjunction with a student’s mentor, can help students select courses and activities that will support their application to professional and graduate schools.
Meet Our Students
Tom is from Portsmouth, England. His majors are in Business Administration and Economics. “Adjusting to life here has been easy and the international student staff is very helpful. I had so much fun over my first year, not just at the College but in Texas as a whole. Austin College just feels like home.”
Nina is from Beijing, China. Her majors are in Business Administration and Public Health. “People sometimes asked me if it hard to be immersed in US culture. I can confidently tell you that Austin College strongly encourages cultural diversity on campus.”